Tuesday 5 August 2003

WALKABOUTSVERSE 14 OF 230

Poem 14 of 230:  NIGHT OR DAY?!

In the far north of Sweden
    (A "Land of the Midnight Sun”),
A strange thing chanced upon me -
    And I’ll tell you, just for fun.

Got off a train late-morning
    (Had to catch same one next day)
And trudged far to the Youth Hostel -
    Paying for a one-night stay.

I spent the afternoon sightseeing,
    Then, after a latish dinner,
Returned to my own small bedroom -
    The comfy bed proving a winner.

For I soon dozed into dreamy sleep -
    Waking what was just two hours hence;
But my watch was an analogue,
    And night or day I couldn’t sense!

I quickly packed all my things
    (My train an hour or thirteen on)
And hurried out the bedroom -
    The bright sky a sneaky con.

I wandered down the track a bit
    (The Hostel office empty),
Before a smiling helpful local
    Did kindly enlighten me.

(C) David Franks 2003

Most northerly 18-hole course in the world -
Skelleftea Goffklubb, played on 12/7/1988
(I think my poem refers to Kiruna-Narvik?)

Mirage at Boa Vista, Cabo Verde; 16/12/23