Thursday 31 July 2003

WALKABOUTSVERSE 19 OF 230

Poem 19 of 230:  JET

With time-based rail passes
     (As many youths still do),
I caught the trains through Europe -
    A good time it was, too.

But, late one night that summer,
    I ran full-on in vain,
Through quiet streets in Paris,
    To catch the London train.

And, at that Paris station,
    They closed the doors throughout,
For cleaning through the morning,
    Insisting - stragglers out.

So it was that a few of us
    Spent the night on the street,
And, I do declare to you,
    It left young me dead-beat.

Yet there are many stragglers,
    Within the human domain,
Spending all their nights as such -
    While others own a plane!

(C) David Franks 2003


Folks catching their train at Gare du Nord,
& where I spent a night in 1988; 27/5/2023

Photos from other returns to Europe with my bridge-camera...

Barcelona's La Sagrada Família
 via Montjuïc Funicular; 29/5/18

Near Frankfurt Airport; 3/5/19

Rome's Trevi Fountain; 5/5/2019